- Is your pet microchipped? – Nearly everyone answered yes
- Is your pet registered on an government compliant microchip database and their details kept up to date? – Nearly everyone said no or they weren’t sure.
At this point we thought wow! How many people haven’t updated their pets details?
- Dogs without a microchip found their way home in just 21.9% of cases.
- Dogs with a microchip found their way home in 52.2% of cases!
- Cats without a microchip found their way home in just 1.8% of cases.
- Cats with a microchip found their way home in 38.5% of cases!
Why don’t more people register their pets microchip data on a database?
- We didn’t know we had to do this. We’ll be doing it later today.
- I thought our vet took care of that? Maybe I’m wrong.
- I did it when we first got our pet. I can’t even remember who I registered with and we’ve moved twice since then.
- We were told registering would be free but it turned out to be £15.95 We were meant to look into how to do it for free but we forgot.
What can MyPet do to help with pet microchipping?
- You can search to see if your pets microchip is stored on another database. This will show you which database has information on your pets microchip and direct you to their website.
- You can also add your pet to our microchip database. You can do that HERE. (Remember if you already use the MyPet app just head straight to the login page to do this.) We are the easiest and cheapest way to register your pet in the UK.
- We’ll remind you twice a year to check your details are up to date.
- We’ll email you if your pet’s microchip is ever searched on another Defra compliant database.
- We’ve a lot more features coming! If you’ve any feedback, problems we can help with or suggestions I’d love to hear from you. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
If you would like to read a bit more about the UK Government regulations, you can check out THIS page on the gov.uk website.