What’s the latest news?
- You may all have read a few weeks ago about Nadia the Tiger from the Bronx Zoo catching coronavirus. 6 big cats got infected in total. They showed mild symptoms including a dry cough. It is believed an asymtomtic zoo keeper passed it to the big cats.
- 2 pet cats were infected in New York in April. They were the first reported cases of pets becoming infected in the US. The cats suffered mild respiratory signs.
- Winston a pug in the US caught corona virus. He had very mild symptoms.
- 2 dogs and 1 cat tested positive in Hong Kong
How does the situation look globally?
What advice is there for people with pets?
- If you’re sick with COVID-19 or self isolating because of suspected COVID-19 restrict your contact with your pet. Where possible ask another member of your household to care for your pets.
- If you must care for your pet or be around animals while self isolating with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cover your face with a cloth or a mask and wash your hands before and after interacting with your pet.
- If you’re healthy and not suspected of having COVID-19 enjoy your animal / human bond as normal. As I’m sure you’ve heard many times before just wash your hands more regularly. We’d also for now not let your pet give you any kisses!